top of page
  • anthony9998

A Tax Guide for International Students, Migrants, and Temporary Residents

Australia, renowned for its world-class education system, diverse cultural landscape, and abundant work opportunities, attracts a significant number of international students, migrants, and temporary residents every year. While adjusting to a new country can be exciting, understanding the Australian taxation system and fulfilling tax obligations can be a daunting task. Cheesman Applegarth has not only helped many negotiate these tax issues we have team members that have experienced them. In this post, we aim to provide a guide to help international students, migrants, and temporary residents navigate the tax landscape in Australia.

Understanding Your Tax Residency Status:

The first step to effectively managing your taxes in Australia is determining your tax residency status. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) classifies individuals as residents or non-residents for tax purposes based on various factors such as the length of stay, visa type, and ties to Australia. This classification determines how you are taxed and what income you need to declare.

If it is determined that you are an Australian tax resident you are required to declare and pay taxes on your worldwide income, including income earned overseas. It is crucial to keep track of all income sources, such as employment, investments, and rental properties, to ensure accurate reporting.

Tax Obligations for International Students:

International students pursuing education in Australia, who reside in Australia for more than 6 months are generally considered residents for tax purposes. Again, as a tax resident, you will need to pay tax on your worldwide income. However, you may be eligible for certain tax exemptions or deductions, relating to your income and depending on your personal circumstances, your study expenses may be deductable, which can help reduce your tax liability.

Tax Obligations for Migrants and Temporary Residents:

Migrants and temporary residents who hold valid visas are typically considered Australian residents for tax purposes. Note that special rules apply to temporary residents, and it is very important to discuss your circumstances with a knowledgeable tax agent as you may have unforeseen tax consequences.

TFN and Filing Tax Returns:

To fulfill your tax obligations, you must obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) from the ATO. Your TFN is a unique identifier used for all tax-related matters in Australia. As an international student, migrant, or temporary resident, you will need to lodge an annual tax return, which can be done online using the ATO's myTax platform or with the assistance of a registered tax agent like Cheesman Applegarth. Ensure that you have all the necessary documents and receipts to support your income and expense claims.

Deductions and Rebates:

Understanding the deductions and rebates available can help you optimise your tax return. Common deductions include education expenses, work-related and investment expenses, and charitable donations. Additionally, certain tax offsets and rebates, such as the Low Income Tax Offset (LITO) and the Medicare Levy Exemption, may apply depending on your circumstances. Consulting with a tax professional at Cheesman Applegarth can streamline and simplify a lot of the red tape.

Superannuation and Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP):

If you have been working in Australia your employer is required to contribute to a superannuation fund on your behalf. Superannuation is a retirement savings system in Australia. As an international student, migrant, or temporary resident, it is important to understand your rights regarding superannuation and the process of accessing your superannuation funds when leaving Australia, known as the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

Special rules apply to superannuation and you should be aware of the implications of early release based on your visa class.

Managing your tax obligations in Australia as an international student, migrant, or temporary resident can be complex, but with the right knowledge and guidance, you can navigate the tax system confidently. Understand your tax residency status, comply with reporting requirements, and explore available deductions and rebates to optimize your tax position and ensure compliance with Australian tax laws.

Cheesman Applegarth can help you with your situation as we have a proven track record of assisting foreign students and temporary residents with their tax obligations for accurate and efficient tax obligation fulfillment. Contact Cheesman Applegarth today for reliable assistance with your tax concerns, including tax residency status, filing tax returns, deductions, rebates, and superannuation management.

32 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page